If you experienced a herniated disc from a car crash in New York, you must determine how much of a settlement you are entitled to.
If you’ve been involved in a car accident in New York, you may have suffered a herniated disc. This is a common injury that can result from the impact of a car crash. Understanding what herniated discs are and how they can be treated is essential to your recovery.
Apicella & Schlesinger Attorneys at Law has helped thousands of auto accident victims and their families in the aftermath of their accidents. We provide our clients with personalized, comprehensive representation.
What is a Herniated Disc?
A herniated disc, also known as a slipped or ruptured disc, occurs when the soft tissue that cushions the vertebrae in your spine pushes out of its normal position. This can cause pressure on the spinal cord or nerves and result in pain, numbness, or weakness in the affected area. Herniated discs most commonly occur in the lower back or neck.
Symptoms of a Herniated Disc
The symptoms of a herniated disc can vary depending on the location and severity of the injury. Some common symptoms include:
- Pain in the affected area, such as the lower back or neck
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or legs
- Weakness in the affected area
- Loss of bladder or bowel control (in severe cases)
Diagnosing a Herniated Disc
If you suspect a herniated disc, seeing a doctor for a proper diagnosis is essential. Your doctor may perform a physical exam, including checking your reflexes and strength, and order diagnostic imaging, such as an MRI or X-ray, to confirm the diagnosis.
Treatment Options for Herniated Discs
There are several treatment options available for herniated discs. Your doctor may recommend one or more of the following:
- Rest and physical therapy: Resting the affected area and doing physical therapy exercises can help alleviate pain and strengthen the surrounding muscles.
- Medications: Pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs may be prescribed to help manage pain and reduce inflammation.
- Steroid injections: Injections of steroids directly into the affected area can help reduce inflammation and alleviate pain.
- Surgery: In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the herniated disc and relieve pressure on the spinal cord or nerves.
How to Seek Compensation for a Herniated Disc from a Car Accident
If you have suffered from a herniated disc due to a car accident in New York, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. To seek compensation, you should consider speaking with an experienced car accident lawyer who can help you navigate the legal process and advocate for your rights.
Why Choose Apicella & Schlesinger Attorneys at Law
For more than 45 years, our personal injury lawyers have represented victims in all car accidents throughout New York. Our sole focus is helping motor vehicle accident victims receive total and fair compensation for their damages, even if it means going to trial.