OSHA reports that nearly 1/3 of all reported workplace injuries in the construction injury were the result of slip and fall accidents.
Within the construction industry, various hazards impact the safety of construction workers. These hazards include electrocutions, exposure to hazardous materials, lacerations, and being hit by falling objects. However, slip and fall accidents are among the most common construction site accidents. OSHA reports that nearly 1/3 of all reported workplace injuries in the construction injury were the result of slip and fall accidents.
Contact a NY construction injury attorney if you suffered a severe injury from a slip and fall accident while working on a construction site. Claims for slip and fall injuries under a company’s insurance policy may not be enough to cover your injuries and is not the only source of recovery and support.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Workers who suffer a fall at work are at risk of a sprain or a fracture and a severe injury to the neck, spine, or head. The worker may need a few days off work or may end up disabled for the rest of their life and never be able to return to work at all. Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents in the construction industry include:
- Spills on the floor – A wet floor is the most common cause of a slip and fall accident. There are many ways in which this can happen. Water, oil, chemicals, or other liquid spills can cause this. Grease or ice can also make a floor slippery. Workers usually take it for granted that there will be a sign or a notice when the flooring is wet. But this doesn’t always happen. Accidents occur when people forget or become distracted and don’t notice the spill.
- Falls on stairways – Stairs are a significant hazard when it comes to workplace injuries. It may happen that the stairs have not been well designed, the steps are not of even height, or perhaps a handrail is missing or damaged. Also, insufficient lighting can cause an accident if a worker puts a foot out of place or misses a step.
- Falls off of scaffolding – Falls from scaffolding are among the most common causes of catastrophic or fatal construction-related injuries. When the sides of a scaffold aren’t appropriately guarded, they do not protect workers who may get too close to the edge.
- Holes in the ground – An unexpected opening in the floor can cause a severe accident. A maintenance hole in a car park with the lid left off or a cellar trapdoor that hasn’t been closed can cause a fall.
- Trip and fall accidents – Debris, clutter, tools, building materials, and uncovered wiring or cables can all cause a worker to trip and fall. When clutter or debris isn’t removed, or when tools aren’t picked up, trip and fall accidents occur.
New York Construction Accident Lawyers
For more than 45 years, New York construction accident attorneys at our law firm have helped hundreds of injury victims and their families obtain millions of dollars in compensation. Claims for slip and fall injuries under a company’s insurance policy may not be enough to cover your injuries and is not the only source of recovery and support.