Dealing with an uninsured driver raises concerns about who will cover the damages and medical expenses incurred.
Being involved in a car accident can be a stressful experience, but the situation becomes even more complicated when the other driver doesn’t have insurance. Dealing with an uninsured driver raises concerns about who will cover the damages and medical expenses incurred.
If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, it is essential to seek the advice of a specialized attorney before accepting any settlement offer from the insurance company. Our team of NY lawyers at Apicella & Schlesinger Attorneys at Law can assist you in assessing your case and provide guidance.
Hit By an Uninsured Driver in NY
If an uninsured driver has hit you in New York, it is strongly recommended that you consult with a qualified attorney to understand your specific situation and legal options. Consulting with a lawyer will provide personalized advice based on your circumstances, ensuring that your rights are protected, and that you have the best chance of receiving the compensation you deserve.
If an uninsured driver hit you, here are some things you need to do to protect your legal rights:
- Gather Information – After the accident, gathering as much information as possible is crucial. Obtain the uninsured driver’s contact details, vehicle license plate number, and other relevant information to help identify them. Also, collect the names and contact information of witnesses at the scene.
- Contact the Authorities – Notify the police about the accident, even if the other driver doesn’t have insurance. The police report will serve as official documentation of the incident, and it may be required when dealing with insurance companies or pursuing legal action.
- Notify Your Insurance Company – Reach out to your insurance company and inform them about the accident. Depending on your policy, your insurance company may be able to provide coverage for uninsured or underinsured motorists. Review your policy carefully to understand the extent of the coverage and any specific requirements or limitations.
- Consult an Attorney – Consult an experienced personal injury attorney specializing in motor vehicle accidents. They can provide valuable legal advice and guide you through the process. An attorney will assess your case, investigate the circumstances, and determine the best action.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage – If you have uninsured motorist coverage as part of your auto insurance policy, this can help protect you in situations like these. Uninsured motorist coverage is designed to provide compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages resulting from an accident caused by an uninsured driver. Your attorney can assist you in navigating the claims process with your insurance company.
- Civil Lawsuit – In some cases, filing a civil lawsuit against the uninsured driver may be necessary to seek compensation for your losses. Your attorney can guide you through this legal process and help you pursue a judgment against the responsible party. However, it is essential to remember that even if you obtain a judgment, collecting the awarded amount may be challenging if the uninsured driver lacks the financial means to pay.
- Seek Medical Treatment – Regardless of the other driver’s insurance status, it’s crucial to prioritize your health. Seek medical attention promptly, even if you don’t feel immediate pain or injuries. Some injuries may manifest later, and having medical documentation will strengthen your case.
Dealing with an accident caused by an uninsured driver can be overwhelming, but remember, you have legal options to explore. By gathering information, notifying the authorities and your insurance company, consulting with an attorney, and understanding your insurance policy, you can take steps toward recovering the compensation you deserve.
Free Consultation with a New York Car Accident Lawyer
Contact Apicella & Schlesinger Attorneys at Law to request a free consultation.(212) 568-4245